December 16, 2009

Fiber Fun Wednesday -- The Drop Spindle

I got the bug.


No...not H1N1.


The spinning bug.


I've been getting all of our fiber ready to send off to the mill over the last few weeks. It's nearly ready to go, but I'm impatient. I want to play with it NOW. I suppose I could if I washed it and carded it, but I'm more than happy letting Wendy (at the mill) do that for me. In the mean time, I'll play with someone else's fiber so I'll be more confident to use mine when it comes back.

That leads me to the current problem. The bug.

I decided I wanted a drop spindle to learn on. Okay, not too hard. My choices were top whorl or bottom whorl. Once I decided on starting with a top whorl I had to find one I liked for a price I liked.

But wait...they come in kits with fiber! :o)

What fiber do I want? Obviously alpaca, but what alpaca. Hmmm....someone posted the perfect kit on facebook. (it was Silver Sun Alpacas, she always has fun stuff) It was black alpaca with bamboo. Yummy!

I got it a little more than a week ago. It's great.

But what if I like a bottom whorl better??? I must get one of those. I found one at Bohemia Fibers with a very cool greeny blue Merino batt. It came a few days ago.

Don't I need a niddy noddy to put my skein on? Found one of those today. Hopefully it will get here soon.

Oh...and maybe a wrap per inch guide.

See my problem? It "spins" out of control. Now the big problem. I'm terrified to actually use it. The fiber is all so soft and pretty. I'm afraid to mess it up. I've been staring at everything since it got here and just can't make myself start spinning.

I have a spinning bug with no grand finale.

I'm going to keep giving myself a pep talk and hope that by this time next week I'll have actually spun something.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails