March 10, 2010

Fiber Fun Wednesday -- Work in Progress


I swear I should have one of these signs floating over my head at all times because everything is a work in progress and I'm still waiting for the progress.

Let's start with an update on the incredibly ambitious project for Nationals. I already hit a huge snag and had to back up a little to get going again.

My beautiful Chu Chu is an amazing girl, but too much for this novice fiber artist to handle at the moment. I got her fleece washed and dried, but as I began to work with it, I realized it was a mess. It was her first shearing and there is nearly 2 years worth of growth in her fleece. It's veeerrryyyy tangled. There is no way I could get through it in the time I have, so......

On to plan B. No, I am not scrapping the project. Just revising it a little. It's now a combo of Jack, Misti, and Mario. All whites so this will become a dyeing project too. While I'm at it I'm adding just a hint of Bamboo. It'll be a 90% alpaca/10% Bamboo blend. It's actually carding up wonderfully. I'm trying to card all my batts at once so they are similar and I know I have enough.

For the skirt I need about 1200 yards of sport weight. I'm going to card up 1 1/2 pounds just to be absolutely sure I have plenty.

I haven't started spinning it yet so I'll have to let you know how it goes.

Next project....

The fiber studio.

You've heard a lot about it, but haven't been able to see it. Well, here it is.

It's more of a glorified craft room/office, but I am calling it the Fiber studio.

It's still a work-in-progress because it needs shelves in the closet and I still need some kind of cabinet/counter top for the carder. I'm really tired of carding on the kitchen island because no matter how careful you are fiber gets in the food. Yuck! I need to bring my wheel up too.

It's mostly organized at least. Plenty of room for my dyes and stuff.. It's even got a TV although I'm still not convinced that's a good thing.

I've also managed to find my sewing machine which means I can get some more cria coats made. Get your orders in now for those spring cria! :o)

Oh wait, you have to see the door. Isn't it pretty?

Last, but certainly not least....

My latest yarn. It is turning out to be the most consistent yarn I've spun so far. I already have a hat in mind for it although it keeps saying socks....socks....socks as it glides through my hands. I want the hat. We'll see who wins, me or the yarn.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails