October 12, 2009

Crazy for Food

Do you love food as much as me? Honestly, I'd be happy to never leave the kitchen, but life won't let me stay there. Normally it's a get in, get out quick scenario. Take lunch for instance, we had mac & cheese and chicken nuggets. Not bad, but not exactly good. It was quick though and let me get back to other things. Those things included school lessons for the kids and pj sewing for me. (Yes, I'm still working on those darn pj's).

Now for some reason I got the "bug" at about 2pm. What's the "bug" you ask? The bug can be about anything, but it means you can't help yourself from going crazy doing and/or making that thing. For me today it was baking/cooking.

I started off with the bread maker. Simple enough. I have an oatmeal bread recipe that everyone really enjoys so I thought we could have fresh bread with dinner.

Well, I could smell that bread and decided I needed something to eat NOW, not later, so......

Here comes a new recipe I've been holding on to for awhile. Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins. Do I see an oatmeal theme? Lovin' the oats in my baked goods.

My philosophy is usually to make something the way it's written the first time and go from there, but this time I changed it from the start. Good thing because they turned out sooooo yummy. Had one right out of the oven and the chocolate chips were warm and gooey. Since they came out so fantastic I'll share them with you.

Oh, did I tell you about dinner? To go with that nice fresh bread that is now out of the machine, I am making my version of minestrone. Lots of beans and pasta in a tomato base. Smells great, too.

So, if you get the "bug" too, just go with it. I'm sure you'll end up with something fabulous.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400*

In a medium size bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the milk, oil, and egg. Stir until just blended. Add the chocolate chips; stir. Divide the mixture evenly into 18 greased (or use muffin papers) muffin cups.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.





1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails