October 19, 2009

Recipe of the week -- Three Beans and Sausage

This is by far one of my favorites recipes. It's simple, relatively cheap and it tastes really, really good. It's also the meal that finally got my kids to like beans. Now they will eat beans in anything. Well, except the youngest. He still will only eat black beans because they are "taco beans". I put them in a tortilla once and now they are forever more "taco beans".

Three Beans and Sausage

1 lb. smoked sausage, cut into slices
1 can (16 oz.)kidney beans, drained
1 can (15 oz.)black beans, drained
1 can (15 oz.)pinto beans, drained
1 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped celery
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1 cup chicken broth
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. pepper
Hot cooked rice
Parmesan or mozzarella cheese

In a large skillet, saute onion, garlic, celery and bay leaf over med-high heat until tender; add sausage. Cook for another minute or two or until sausage is lightly browned. Add broth, tomato sauce, beans and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Server over rice and top with cheese.

See, super easy. Now I have used different sausages, including sausages that are not precooked like brats, links and such. Just make sure the sausage is completely cooked through before adding the beans and sauce. In fact it is best to cook the sausage first then saute the onions and such.

I have substituted the tomato sauce with my own homemade pizza sauce at times. You can also add a little italian seasonings to your tomato sauce to punch up the flavor.

If you want to put this is a crockpot to save time later in the day, you can cook it on low for 4 to 5 hours.

I love recipes that can be played with so you can find your own personal favorite way to fix it, plus if you are missing one thing there is normally an easy substitute.

I adore my rice cooker. I use it sooooo much. If you don't have a rice cooker that's fine, just cook a cup or so of rice on the stove like you normally would. Left over rice can be used too if desired.

Shoot, now I'm hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails