July 06, 2010

Recipe of the week -- Baked Beans (from scratch)



How many of you are from the Eastern part of the US? Those of you that aren't....I wish I was with you. :o)

It is soooooo hot here and we have no A/C. Most summers I never even feel like I miss it, but these last few days have been pure torture. Today is a not so lovely 90 something (I can't even bring myself to look) with humidity that's something like 150%. I sweat just thinking about working.

Of course life must go on and the work needs to be done. I'm doing mostly inside stuff now though because I think attempting to work outside would be akin to suicide or at least extreme stupidity. We're making sure that the animals have plenty of shade and water and then doing the same for us. My job today is to update this, Etsy and maybe our website if my brain cooperates.

Anyway....I believe this was supposed to be a recipe posting.

Summer makes me think of lots of foods including watermelon, steak, corn on the cob and potato salad. Another picnic staple is usually baked beans. Not a cool food by any means and I'm sure as heck not going to be cooking them today, but these are yummy and would work nicely for any picnic or family reunion you have scheduled this summer.


Baked Beans

1 lb. dried great northern beans
1/2 lb. thick sliced bacon strips, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups ketchup
1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar (although I usually only have light and it works fine)
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. coarsely ground pepper

Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a dutch oven; add enough water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour or until beans are softened. (You can also soak them overnight in cold water with a similar result)

Drain and rinse beans, discarding the liquid. Return beans to the dutch oven; add 6 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are almost tender.

In a large skillet. cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain pan, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients.

Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid; place in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in onion mixture and bacon. Cover and bake at 300* for 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender and reach desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Add reserved cooking liquid as needed.


For more great recipes visit Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, and Tuesdays at the Table.

6 comments:

  1. Nothing says summer cookout like baked beans. We used to eat that a lot in the summertime when I was growing up. Hope you had a great holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We found your beautiful site thru "Follow Me Back Tuesday".

    What a fantastic baked beans recipe! We are going to try making our baked beans this way for a family gathering this weekend - thanks for sharing :)

    http://www.diaperwagon.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious!!

    I'm a new follower with google friend connect and liked you on fb from Trailing Tuesdays, I hope you'll follow me back!

    Kelly
    http://KellysLuckyYou.blogspot.com
    http://facebook.com/KellysLuckyYou

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soo sorry you do not have air. With the humidity we have here I couldnt go without it. I definitely feel for you. Love the baked beans though... oh my yummy
    Stopping by to say hello. Hope you had an amazing Independence Day.
    Make sure you zoom over and get entered into all my current giveaways. Check back often too, I have some amazing items to be posted soon. Everything from stuffed animals, makeup, candles, and housewares.
    Stay Fabulous
    Chara
    http://charasjewelcandy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello i was wondering the maple syrup is that the thin natural maple syrup or the thick miss butterworth one? thank you

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails