February 22, 2010

Recipe of the week -- Balsamic Mushroom Chicken



I've been making a new cookbook recently. My old one finally died. It's years of use have made it hard to read in places and no amount of duct tape can hold it together any longer. The problem is, I have to retype every recipe because I lost the old file between computer upgrades. :(

While doing this I found an old favorite that I had forgotten about. It's a simple recipe, but like Mary Poppins, it's practically perfect in every way. It makes a deliciously moist and tender chicken with an amazing gravy made up of lots of mushrooms. YUM!

Balsamic Mushroom Chicken

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast
2 tbls. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. oil
8 oz. assorted or white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 sliced cloves garlic
1 tbls. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tbls. butter

For even cooking, pound chicken breasts to an even thickness. I find a meat mallet works great for this. Mix flour and salt in a plastic food resealable bag. Add chicken and shake to coat.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook, turning once, 6 minutes or until golden and meat is no longer pink in center. Remove to a plate.

Add mushrooms, onion and garlic to skillet and saute 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a bowl.

Put broth, vinegar and thyme in skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes to thicken slightly and blend flavors. Add mushroom mixture. Stir in butter until melted.

Return chicken and any juices to skillet. Spoon mushrooms with sauce over chicken.


I had this for lunch and my mouth is watering just thinking about it again. It was soooo good. It tastes like an extra special dish without a lot of extra effort. You could even pick up already sliced mushrooms at the store if you wanted to make it even easier.

I think I need to go raid the leftovers in the fridge. Happy cooking!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the looks of this chicken dish! Lately I have been on a search for good chicken balsamic recipes....you have made my day with this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so tasty! I've been looking for a good dish to make this weekend... I might give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails