April 19, 2010

Spinning....the Zen way


Spinning yarn is an art form.

It is an art form that has mastered me instead of me mastering it.

I really enjoy sitting down and spinning. I can do this while watching a movie, TV or just hanging out with the kiddos. I have one problem though. I can't seem to make this darn fiber do what I want. It has a mind of it's own. I card a fiber with plans to spin it into something and always end up with something else.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, just somewhat annoying.

For example....I just spun a white fleece from our boy Jack. I've been stuck in a worsted weight rut. Everything comes out the same. I wanted to spin this white fleece into a chunky yarn. Didn't happen. Instead I got the most beautiful fingering weight yarn. It's the thinnest thing I have ever spun (that stayed together). I'm sure if I had tried to do this purposely it wouldn't have worked.

(Jack)

I'm about ready to give up since all these fleeces seem to know better than I what they should be.

So here is my new spinning philosophy. What will be, will be. I'll be happy with whatever yarn I get because it's probably better than anything I thought of and maybe someday I'll have a turn at being master of the wheel instead of the fiber winning over.

P.S. The fleece I spun after Jack demanded it be chunky. Go figure. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails