November 08, 2010

Recipe of the Week -- Nearly Crustless Pumpkin Pie

Okay, it's not really crustless or anything, but how would you like a pie from scratch that you didn't have to roll out a crust? I'll get back to that.

When I think of Thanksgiving I always think of pumpkin pie first. Since I was little, I always tried to snitch a piece before the meal. I don't remember ever succeeding, but I did try. And I would always save room at dinner to make sure I could shovel in the pumpkin pie.

When I went out into the world on my own, I knew I had to learn how to make one. I've never been big on store bought crusts, but at that point in my life I wasn't so good at making my own. Then I stumbled across this amazingly simple crust for my pumpkin pie. (I've never tried it on any other pie so I'm not sure if it would work on anything else)

It's a pie crust that you just press into the pan. Similar to a graham cracker I guess, but without all the crumbs. It won't give you one of those picture perfect pies with pretty fluted pie crust edges, but it will taste spectacular and you can tell everyone you made it from scratch!



Pumpkin Pie

Crust:
1 1/3 cups flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbls. cold water

Mix flour, oil and salt with a fork until flour is moistened. Add cold water slowly until all is absorbed. Press dough into 10" pie pan. (Your fingers work great for this, but I have also used a flat bottomed glass to get an even crust)

Pie:
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 can (16 oz.) 100% pure pumpkin
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk

Beat eggs in a large bowl. Beat in remaining ingredients until blended. Pour filling into crust. Bake 15 minutes at 450*. Reduce temp (without opening oven!) and bake for an additional 45 minutes. Let cool before serving.


For more great recipes visit Two For Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, What's Cooking Wednesday and Tuesdays at the Table.

12 comments:

  1. I've never tried a pie crust like that.
    My Grandma always insisted the easiest, most consistent and best crust for the time and money was the Jiffy Pie Crust mix in a box. Just add water!
    I'll have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to have your pie and still cut some of the calories. It sounds so easy too without all that work of having to roll out the crust and crimp it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this! I have a terrible time with pie and this recipe seems so simple - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so easy! Much quicker and more simple than some of those crazy pumpkin pie recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following you from the Follow Back Tuesday!
    http://mommysaysallthebadwords.blogspot.com/

    And holy moly, that pie sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful!

    I'd love to have you link this to my blog party - This Week's Cravings. It's Thanksgiving Cookies and Treats week!

    http://frommytinykitchen.blogspot.com/2010/11/this-weeks-cravings-thanksgiving.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! These look super yummy. We are so having these this week! :) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking to This Week's Cravings - hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll take pumpkin pie any way I can get it. I've heard of this kind of crust, but haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I found your blog through FMBT! We are now following you:) Your recipes look so yummy! I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a million for linking to THIS WEEKS CRAVINGS!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails