January 03, 2011

Delectable Tuesday 1/4 - Veggie Chowder

Hello and Happy New Year!! Hope 2011 is treating you right so far.

This weeks recipe is one of my fave soups and it is especially good on these cold winter days for lunch. I normally serve this with a salad or a sandwich and even my picky eater thinks it's good. (I think it's all the cheese!)

You can use just about any cheese in this soup. Pick your favorite!

Don't forget the linky at the bottom! I love seeing all of your wonderfully tasty goodies!

Veggie Chowder

2 cups water
2 cups cubed peeled potatoes (frozen hash browns work great)
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups whole milk
1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into the vegetable mixture. Add corn and cheese. Cook 10 minutes longer or until heated through.

Home Sweet Farm






10 comments:

  1. That soup sounds fantastic! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge chowder fan, and this one looks so amazing and sounds so tasy. Definitely going in my recipe box. Also, I host a food meme on Sundays called Sunday at One Food Club and I think our group members would love your recipe. If you want to join us, the URL is: http://cocinadiary.blogspot.com/2011/01/sundays-at-one-food-club-7-hgtv-dream.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Total comfort food. Would be great on a night like tonight.

    http://nurturedfamilylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound delectable! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so delicious and healthy!! Thanks for adding to my recipe box!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veggie Chowder sounds very tasty!! thanks for sharing the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love veggie chowder. Yum. New follower from What's Cooking Wednesday?

    Thanks for hosting!

    Kristi @
    Veggie Converter

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chowders of all kinds, but this one sounds particularly good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never made chowder before... looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious sounding chowder! I love all the veggies! Thanks for sharing this with the Hearth and Soul Hop - don't forget to post a link back to one of the hosts in your post so we can all join in the fun! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails