August 19, 2010

Crafty Friday 8/20 - Felted Slippers

Happy Friday!!

Welcome to Crafty Friday and if you're new to the neighborhood it's simply a gathering of friends sharing their crafty ideas. It doesn't matter if it's knitting, spinning, painting, gluing, cooking, baking or creative recycling. We love all the ideas that come through here and it doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect. We'll still love you!

Last week I mentioned I had written my very first knitting patterns to make little mini knits. Those were a lot of fun and I hope to have them ready to release to the public soon, but I couldn't just leave it at those so I had to make something else up.

Once again I went on a search for a type of pattern and found nothing that met my needs. I've been wanting to try making felted slippers or technically fulled slippers (we'll save the distinction for another day). I love the idea of knitting a project and then felting it vs. just felting it around a mold or freehand. I think it gives a bit more control over the final size.

Anyway, I wasn't able to find anything so I just kind of started and made it up as I went. I knitted the slippers, finished the seams and then used the washing machine to felt it. Like magic I had a beautiful pair of slippers. Now the only trick is if I can do it again! :o)


Oh I also dyed up some certified organic merino yarn in a sport weight. We've got a few festivals coming up so I won't be putting it up on Etsy, but if you're interested in it don't hesitate to speak up.


So what are you up to this week?

Do you have something to share? Let us know what you’re working on this week! It can be photos of a project, instructions, recipes, or anything else you feel is "crafty". If you have something to share with us on your blog, add your link to the current week's party. Just please be sure to:
  1. Add the permalink to the specific blog post, not your general blog address in the Mister Linky form below (need help with finding the permalink? (click here to see a great post Darcy wrote on this!)
  2. Include in your blog entry a link back to the party post on this blog! so that your readers can come and see what everyone else is working on today and have an opportunity to contribute! You can use the code below to add the button to your posts or blog if you'd like.
  3. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what makes a party fun!! You don't want to come to a party and have no one talk to you!!
  4. Let me know if you have any questions, problems or need help!

If you want to play along don't forget to grab a button to place at the top or bottom of your post to show you are participating in Crafty Fridays!
Simply copy the code below in the box and paste where you can edit the html in your blog post.

Home Sweet Farm





13 comments:

  1. I like both those things! I've got to give felting a try soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't actually make anything I just made something better. I hung various baby toys on the loops of my daughters plain baby gym. I change it up to include objects that have sound and texture that would be interesting to her. Every time I put her down for some floor time she has a new interest. This probably isn't a craft but it sure felt crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there~I am a new follower from Boost my Blog Friday! Love the felting~ I look forward to reading more of your blog posts

    stop by and say hello
    http://wwwbungelowjame.blogspot.com
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following you now from Fun Follow Friday:
    http://whatifedmyfamilytoday.blogspot.com/
    Hope you'll follow me back :)

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your slippers look fantastic! I usually find that my knitting is better/more fun wihtout a pattern! I recently made a funny hat with no pattern.... wish I had one now though to duplicate it! Check it out...
    http://scrapartbypris.blogspot.com/2010/08/we-are-back-from-vacation.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your newest follower from blog hop Friday. What a great site!

    ruthaw_1974@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from the blog hops. Great blog! I can't wait to see more. Follow back if you can.

    http://www.inspiringyou2save.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. New follower from the Sweet & Simple Saturday Blog Hop. Hope you can stop by sometime:

    http://caringforourblessings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. New follower from TidyMom, I'll have to do something crafty for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those felted slippers, hope you do a pattern! I just freestyled a hat but didn't write it down as I went along :-( Will have to remember next time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails