July 21, 2010

Canning Season has Officially Begun!

As I'm writing this, I'm waiting for the last batch of Bread & Butter pickles in the canner to come to a boil. Waiting for water to boil....ugh!

I love this time of year when the garden starts producing all these colorful veggies. Of course I wish it wasn't so disgustingly hot in the summer, but, hey...I guess the garden wouldn't grow so well if it was cold.

No matter how many fans are going in the kitchen it's always so hot when canning, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. In fact, I have a hard time even letting people eat the veggies in the garden because I want to can them! I love seeing those colorful jars of food put up for the winter and always feel like there's not enough.

I spent an afternoon reorganizing the jars in the basement. I have a shelf at the bottom of the stairs that is generally reserved for previous years and the occasional jars that didn't fit on the other shelves. This is the shelf with last years leftovers so they can get eaten first.


I'm just starting with pickles as the cucumbers are coming in really well. I've done some Dill and Sweet pickles already. Don't they look lonely? I think they need some friends!


Tomorrow I think I'll be canning green beans because I saw a bunch out there this morning. I just didn't pick them because I knew I wouldn't get them done today.

Do you guys can anything?

8 comments:

  1. I love to can. In fact I'm hoping this weekend to can some green beans. Last year I put up tomatoes, apples and peaches with lots of varieties for each.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have the room and the time to can :) My mother cans for me lol
    following you on GFC, found you on the traveling thru thursday blog hop!
    Come visit me soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! You are on top of it!! I mean to preserve some fruit every year and always forget. This year I got some strawberry jam made though! Its awesome!

    New here from BH Thursday! Come check my blog out and follow back?

    Amy @ rendermemamam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I got you one closer to 200! Just one more! :-)

    New follower from Thurs blog hop.

    littlebishopchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never canned before but it is something I am REALLY interested in doing. Is there a book or website you recommend for a beginner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My faves are Canning & Preserving for Dummies and the Ball Canning Book. I learned from these and still use them every year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the book recommendations...I was curious and going to ask the same thing lol! Last year was my first garden and we pretty much just ate everything fresh from there (which was nice). This year, I really want to get into canning....praying I don't screw it up or poison my family by doing it wrong haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your jars all look so pretty lined up together on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails