July 29, 2010

Crafty Friday 7/30

It's that time of the week again. Crafty Friday is here!!

I don't have anything super fancy this week to blog about because all of my "crafty" time has been taken up with making yarn. Specifically, this one skein of yarn. {sigh} This skein took forever!

Normally I spin yarn without much thought to what it's going to be when it "grows up", but this time I had a project in mind. Maybe that's why it seemed to take so long. I guess I was impatient.

Anyway, I had decided I wanted to make a lacy alpaca scarf kind of like this one and I needed a thinner yarn to make it. Mostly I spin chunkier worsted or bulky weight yarns because they make great hats, gloves and sweaters so spinning such a thin yarn was an eye opener.

Spinning up fat yarn is quick, but when you take the same amount of fiber and spin it into a really thin yarn you get a lot more yardage, but it takes that much longer.

My skein turned out just as I'd hoped. After nearly 2 weeks of spinning (about an hour a day) I had more than 800 yards of absolutely gorgeous silver alpaca for my scarf. Um, that will actually make 2 scarves I think.
What have you been up to this week?

Do you have something to share? Let us know what you’re working on this week! If you have something to share with us on your blog, add your link to the current week's party. Just please be sure to:
  1. Add the permalink to the specific blog post, not your general blog address in the Mister Linky form below (need help with finding the permalink? click here to see a great post Darcy wrote on this!)
  2. Include in your blog entry a link back to the party post on this blog! so that your readers can come and see what everyone else is working on today and have an opportunity to contribute! You can use the code below to add the button to your posts or blog if you'd like.
  3. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what makes a party fun!! You don't want to come to a party and have no one talk to you!!
  4. Let me know if you have any questions, problems or need help!

If you want to play along don't forget to grab a button to place at the top or bottom of your post to show you are participating in Crafty Fridays!
Simply copy the code below in the box and paste where you can edit the html in your blog post.

Home Sweet Farm





7 comments:

  1. Found you on NFF & am always glad to find new craft link parties and fellow "crafties" :) Also love that you made the yarn for your knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am a new follower stopping by to say hey! Thanks for linking up! I hot a friday follow hop every week,so keep coming back! I love your homey blog feel. I am a fellow natural living blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am completely impressed with your spinning skills. That yarn will make a beautiful scarf!
    Following from the Girl Creative and I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your link up party and am looking forward to linking up in the future and finding other great crafting ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from your southern neighbor. I love that you spin your own yarn! I'm a Hoosier by birth but Boilermaker by choice. Stop by and say Hi at www.walkingtheoff-beatenpath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails