November 05, 2009

Homemade Dog Treats


Do you ever tear something out of a magazine expecting to use it soon and then lose it forever? I came across a recipe for homemade dog treats that came out of a magazine (Good Housekeeping, I think) about 3 years ago. I'd wanted to make them and then lost the recipe, I assumed, forever. Apparently not. It showed up a few days ago so I thought I'd give them a whirl. They were well received by both our dogs and my parent's dog. I suppose that means they get the stamp of approval.

Homemade Dog Treats

3 tbls. brown sugar
3 tbls. dry chicken gravy mix
1 cup nonfat dry milk
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 egg
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water

Preheat oven to 300*. Mix all ingredients together until combined. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 3 minutes. (Honestly, I skipped this step). Using a rolling pin, roll out dough into a 12-inch square, 1/4 inches thick. Cut dough into 1 1/2"x2" pieces or cut using a cookie cutter. Place treats about 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes; turn cookies over and continue to bake another 10 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides. Allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Super, super easy and the doggies loved 'em. I made mine with a bone shaped cookie cutter I had picked up at a kitchen store a long time ago just for this purpose.

This makes about 4 dozen treats. I put about half in the freezer for later.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails