November 29, 2009

Recipe of the week -- Chocolate Pecan Pie


This is a chocolate pecan pie, but normally we call it Turtle Pie because it reminds me so much of a turtle sundae when you add whipped cream on it. It's a Thanksgiving staple at our house. I have to make it every year. This year was no exception. I made it, but there wasn't a lot of people here to eat it so, more for me!!

This recipe originally came from a Taste of Home event I went to years ago. They demonstrated this on stage and I had to make it the second I got home. I've been hooked ever since.

Turtle Pie

3 eggs
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup pecan halves, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

In a medium bowl, combine eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla with a whisk. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle chocolate chunks over the bottom of the pie shell. Pour pecan mixture over the chocolate chunks in the pie shell.

Bake at 350* for 50-55 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours; refrigerate until serving time.


If you need a recipe for the crust, I have one in the oatmeal pie recipe. Just search through the recipes. The chocolate chunks are made by Nestle and are different than chocolate chips. Chocolate chips will work, but not nearly as well.

We had this pie eaten in less than 24 hours. I think I'm going to have to bake another soon.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails