I hope this Friday finds you calm and mostly done with your holiday projects. I know I'm not. Too much still to do.
I've been in a baking mood the last couple days and I thought I'd share this easy hard candy recipe.
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
1 dram LorAnn Gourmet flavoring (1 tiny bottle found with the candy making supplies)
liquid food coloring
Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. In a large saucepan, mix together sugar, corn syrup and water. Stirring constantly with wooden spoon until completely dissolved. Bring to a boil.
Boil until mixture reaches 260*F. Add food coloring (start with just a couple drops at first). Continue boiling until candy reaches 300*F. Remove from heat and stir in flavoring.
Pour candy onto the sprayed pan. Let sit until completely cooled. Crack into pieces and dust with powdered sugar to prevent sticking.
Tips for making hard candy:
- Invest in a candy thermometer. Also check the thermometer before each use by placing it in a pot of boiling water. If it reads anything other than 212* you need to adjust your final temp. (If it reads 214* add 2 degrees to your final temp etc.)
- Check you local weather. Really. Humidity wrecks havoc with candy making. Wait for a clear, dry day.
- Use a heavy bottom sauce pot to boil your candy in. This is not the time to use a cheap pan. Most pans don't handle the extreme heat of the sugar syrup very well.
Do you have something to share? Let us know what you’re working on this week! It can be photos of a project, instructions, recipes, or anything else you feel is "crafty". If you have something to share with us on your blog, add your link to the current week's party. Just please be sure to:
- Add the permalink to the specific blog post, not your general blog address in the Mister Linky form below (need help with finding the permalink? (click here to see a great post Darcy wrote on this!)
- Include in your blog entry a link back to the party post on this blog! so that your readers can come and see what everyone else is working on today and have an opportunity to contribute! You can use the code below to add the button to your posts or blog if you'd like.
- Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what makes a party fun!! You don't want to come to a party and have no one talk to you!!
- Let me know if you have any questions, problems or need help!
If you want to play along don't forget to grab a button to place at the top or bottom of your post to show you are participating in Crafty Fridays!
Simply copy the code below in the box and paste where you can edit the html in your blog post.