December 09, 2010

Crafty Friday 12/10 - Holiday Hard Candy

Happy Friday y'all! That's me using a Texan accent (unsuccessfully I might add). :)

I hope this Friday finds you calm and mostly done with your holiday projects. I know I'm not. Too much still to do.

I've been in a baking mood the last couple days and I thought I'd share this easy hard candy recipe.



Hard Candy

2 cups sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
1 dram LorAnn Gourmet flavoring (1 tiny bottle found with the candy making supplies)
liquid food coloring
powdered sugar

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. In a large saucepan, mix together sugar, corn syrup and water. Stirring constantly with wooden spoon until completely dissolved. Bring to a boil.

Boil until mixture reaches 260*F. Add food coloring (start with just a couple drops at first). Continue boiling until candy reaches 300*F. Remove from heat and stir in flavoring.

Pour candy onto the sprayed pan. Let sit until completely cooled. Crack into pieces and dust with powdered sugar to prevent sticking.


Tips for making hard candy:
  • Invest in a candy thermometer. Also check the thermometer before each use by placing it in a pot of boiling water. If it reads anything other than 212* you need to adjust your final temp. (If it reads 214* add 2 degrees to your final temp etc.)
  • Check you local weather. Really. Humidity wrecks havoc with candy making. Wait for a clear, dry day.
  • Use a heavy bottom sauce pot to boil your candy in. This is not the time to use a cheap pan. Most pans don't handle the extreme heat of the sugar syrup very well.

Do you have something to share? Let us know what you’re working on this week! It can be photos of a project, instructions, recipes, or anything else you feel is "crafty". If you have something to share with us on your blog, add your link to the current week's party. Just please be sure to:
  1. Add the permalink to the specific blog post, not your general blog address in the Mister Linky form below (need help with finding the permalink? (click here to see a great post Darcy wrote on this!)
  2. Include in your blog entry a link back to the party post on this blog! so that your readers can come and see what everyone else is working on today and have an opportunity to contribute! You can use the code below to add the button to your posts or blog if you'd like.
  3. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what makes a party fun!! You don't want to come to a party and have no one talk to you!!
  4. Let me know if you have any questions, problems or need help!

If you want to play along don't forget to grab a button to place at the top or bottom of your post to show you are participating in Crafty Fridays!
Simply copy the code below in the box and paste where you can edit the html in your blog post.

Home Sweet Farm






9 comments:

  1. I love Hard Candy, but he last time I made it I burnt my arm and the scar is still there 15 years later

    Fellow Blog Hopper:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That reminds me of rock candy.

    Following you from BabyDealsDujour, we list all the baby daily deals in real-time. Love to see you on Facebook and Twitter too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMM I love hard candies. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! Hi there~ I am your newest follower from the Friday blog hop! I would love it if you would stop by and return the love :)

    http://waveoflifesurfstudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the hop, I am your newest follower. Hoping you will come visit me too. http://upthehillbothways.blogspot.com/2010/12/homemade-christmas-gifts.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you on the blog hop! I'm your newest follower! http://aworldofcrafts.blogspot.com/

    Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy's hopping! Come on by when you get a chance.
    http://closertolucy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, I'm blog hopping today! I'm a new follower - I found you on Home Grown Families. I have a food blog that is geared towards making healthy and fun kids lunches, and I'm a Blogger.com 'Blog of Note'. I hope you'll follow me back -

    http://bentobloggy.blogspot.com/

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails