November 14, 2009

Recipe of the week -- Tuna Burgers


Have you ever just stared at your food pantry wondering what to make for lunch and not have any luck coming up with an answer?

This recipe started out that way. I was trying to make lunch and it seemed that everything I thought of was missing something. The pantry was looking a little bare and I was getting desperate. One lone can of tuna kept staring at me and I remembered reading in one of my many cooking magazines about tuna burgers. I had no luck finding that recipe, but did come up with one of my own. It's a huge hit with the kids. In fact it is one of their absolute favorites now. Cheap too.


Tuna Burgers

1 can (6 oz.) tuna, drained
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. celery salt
1/3 cup mayo (or Miracle Whip)
2 tbls. dried onion
2 tbls. ketchup
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 egg

In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together until well blended. Set aside for 10 minutes (this allows the mixture to thicken slightly). Melt 2 tbls. butter in a large skillet. Shape tuna mixture into 4 patties and place in skillet. Cook patties for 4-5 minutes on each side or until browned.

Serve on hamburger buns with your favorite toppings. The normal around here is tarter sauce and cheese; sometimes lettuce and toasted buns too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails